13130 Steps (5.71 miles)
Saturday, September 7th, James and I woke up fairly early, chatted for a bit before going out to tackle breakfast. We decided the hotel breakfast was too expensive so we decided to go out and find breakfast on the town. We stumbled upon a coffee shop and through pointing and smiling alot, we got coffee (cocoa for James) and pastries! It was delicious and of course we talked each others ears off! Then we walked down to the Imperial Palace. There seemed to be a race or something running related going on since there were a ton of runners on the sidewalks though James and I couldn't figure out what distance of race they were doing. That Palace itself was really cool looking even though you couldn't actually go into the Palace but you were allowed to wander around some of the gardens - which we did. It was gorgeous! Afterwards, we met up with James' boss, Randy, and two other guys from the conference they were all attending, Mark and Peter. We all went to the Tokyo National Museum which was incredibly fascinating! We had an English speaking tour guide show us around (the 5 of us plus a really strange Russian kid who tagged along) - the highlights were learning about Shintoism and learning that the Canadian representative was so nervous he signed on the wrong line when the Japanese surrendered after WWII. Afterwards, the group of us went to a Japanese place to eat - I had noodles and whale bacon. It was strange but definitely an experience. After that we wandered a bit through the subways and I got to people watch! We had a beer at a random pub and then James wanted us to go to this one meat place for dinner that he really liked but it turns out it had closed over a year ago, so we asked for suggestions and ended up at this amazing dinner place! It was a fantastic meal and each course just got better and better! I had a lot of fun since I the lone girl in a group of nerdy guys and it was interesting to hear their perspective on things. Hopefully I didn't bore/horrify them with my perspective!
25751 Steps (11.2 miles)
Sunday, September 8th, James and I got up relatively early and got breakfast at our coffee shop again. Then we headed to the north part of the city to see a Buddhist Temple. You can get your fortune by shaking this metal canister until a stick pops out. Then you match the writing on the stick with a drawer and pull out your fortune. My first fortune was a Bad Fortune - so what you do is fold it up and tie it onto these rods where the monks take them to burn them. Then I went through the different purifying rituals - drinking from the well and washing my hands, breathing in the incense, and bowing and clapping in front of the temple. Afterwards I went back and did my fortune again - this time it was The Highest, Excellent Fortune. Apparently, it worked! After the temple, we went back south to the Shibuya Crossing which is apparently the busiest crosswalk in the world. Mulitple roads meet together and they stop all the cars and everyone crosses the street at once. It was fairly epic. We got a coffee at starbucks which was on a second story floor and watched the street - it was like watching a really horrifying battle surge except with no weapons. Then we hustled down to the Shinto Shrine and waked around there for a bit. Then I was anxious about missing my flight so we went back to the hotel and I took the bus back to the airport. James told me that Tokyo airport was super easy and fast and he was right! From when I stepped inside to when I had my ticket, got through security and Immigration and got to my gate it was maybe 10 minutes. It was a short flight back to Seoul, I took the subway back and was on post by 11pm. It was a fantastic weekend and I am bummed that it flew by so fast!
16317 Steps (7.09 miles)
Monday, September 9th, it was back to the daily grind for me. I started the day with a Seoul Tower hike for PT. After formation, I headed into my eye doctors appointment where they got me fitted for new glasses and gave me a new contacts prescription. More work and other such stuff.
17704 Steps (7.7 miles)
Tuesday, September 10th, was suppose to be a quiet day for me - I started the day with deck of cards PT, and then was going to do paperwork... but then apparently I was the only one available to go the Battalion training meeting so I was the little SSG at the big table with the Colonels, Majors and Captains. Luckily my friend Carter and Arnone were hiding in the back at the meeting and made faces at me the whole time as I was briefing the Battalion Commander. That afternoon my household goods arrived - finally! I finally have more than the 3 shirts I brought with me (well, plus the couple that I've picked up of been sent)!!! Wahoo!!!
14601 Steps (6.35 miles)
Wednesday, September 11th - it's hard to believe that it's been 12 years. This song will always remind me of that day:
10402 Steps (4.52 miles)
Thursday, September 12th, started off with getting our butts kicked with circuit training. Then it was an easy morning, followed by a quick lunch and then we got on the bus, drove an hour to our joint rehearsal with the Korean Special Warfare Command Band (think - the Korean version of the 82nd Airborne Band, fairly awesome!) The rehearsal lasted a couple hours and it was fun to be in a bilingual rehearsal, though I wanted to wallop the American tuba player behind me for his rude comments throughout rehearsal. After the rehearsal and photo op, we loaded up the bus and had Korean hamburgers (which didn't taste anything like a hamburger) and drove back to base (which now took a few hours since we had to fight traffic). I was suppose to go to a dress fitting when I got back but we got back super late and they were already closed, so Samantha and I went to have this amazing milkshakes from Once Upon a Milkshake... I had a chocolate/salted caramel mix!
8851 Steps (3.85 miles)
Friday, September 13th, was a late start day since we were suppose to have a gig that night. Because I had missed my dress fitting I braved the torrential rainstorms to go get felt up by a small Korean lady. I'm really excited how the dress is looking so far... can't wait to see the final product! Afterwards I changed into my appropriate civilian attire (ie - I looked like a librarian) and headed into work. We milled around for a bit but they made the call that the concert was cancelled since people didn't want to get rained on to see a concert (it was suppose to be outdoors) However, they already rescheduled the concert for next month. I ran over to the CFC pick up to get the stuff and then went and got my flu "shot" - it was really the flu mist which ran down the back of the throat. Not Aunt Mary-Kate's brand though - I checked! Afterwards we went to the Navy Club for $1 beers and sweet potato fries. It was more crowded than normal since someone was having a party so I got to hear some very young guys chatting... they had to be privates or 1LTs. The highlights of the conversation were "I just want my daiquiri!" and "can I pay using my T-money card?" Then I went with a group to the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra (I wasn't going to go but I got bullied into going... apparently I am allowed to only read soo much before I'm considered anti-social) They played:
Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Tallis
Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini
Bernstein - Candide Overture
Barber - Adagio for Strings
Gershwin - An American in Paris
18559 Steps (8.07 miles)
Saturday, September 14th, I rolled out of bed early and trotted down to the other side of post. There was suppose to be a 5K race on post combined with the CFC kickoff party but the race got cancelled due to safety issues (apparently the post commander gets worried if we are running in a thunderstorm). I stayed for the CFC kickoff party which they had in the gym and then walked back in the rain. I was going to be productive... that truly was the plan... instead, I watched a couple movies and then took a nap. After I lazed about all day, I met up with some friends at the Dragon to eat German food (I had chicken, brats, potato salad - not as good as moms! - and sauerkraut. And a beer and German chocolate cake! Afterwards, we wandered down to the Church Bar and I played Darts - and surprisingly won! Mostly everyone was bad and I just was the least bad! We went to Bulldogs next where they were playing 80s music videos the whole time. I made sure we all got back on post before curfew and then called it a night.
9720 Steps (4.23 miles)
Sunday, September 15th, I got up and did the breakfast thing. I got to talk to my mom and grandparents on skype before heading to the commissary to stock up for the upcoming long weekend. Afterwards I went to the band hall and worked on reeds for a while - still don't have any good reeds but I did try... Got to spend the afternoon/evening chatting on skype before getting sucked into a book and losing track of time and therefore getting to bed super late!
11478 Steps (4.99 miles)
No comments:
Post a Comment