25749 steps (11.20 miles)
Tuesday, August 27th, we hiked to Seoul Tower for PT and I did pretty well seeing as it was my second time in less than 24 hours! I did paperwork in the morning and then we had staff call in the afternoon. After work, most people bailed but Carter, Aubrey and I went to see a baseball game. I managed to get us there, get us tickets and get us fed! I am getting much better at figuring my way around!
26222 steps 11.40 miles)
16772 steps (7.29 miles)
Thursday, August 29th, I got up early so I could go let Aubrey off post so he could get to the airport. It was sad to see him go! Then I had to rush back to the band hall, change into my ASUs and get ready for the gig. We gathered our gear and got on the bus. I sat with Samantha and mostly zoned out for the couple hour bus ride up to Warrior Base. It was raining fairly steady all the way. Once we got there, they decided the woodwinds shouldn't go outside so we chilled on the bus while the bass went out and did fanfares for General Pak. General Pak is of the 4 star variety on the Korean side. He is the guy who held the allied forces together when we were pushed back all the way to Busan before MacArther did his famous act on Incheon. Anyway, General Pak apparently likes us bands. Afterwards it was a long bus ride back down to Yongsan (including the bus getting lost). After a quick lunch, I went back to paperwork, which will be the death of me. That evening they lifted General Order #1 for us, but I didn't drink like I think most people did!
5708 steps (2.48 miles)
Friday, August 30th, was thankfully a fairly short day. Did sprints in the morning for PT, then did paperwork. We had a Hail and Farewell at the Oasis for lunch (only could have the buffet... bleh) and then I had everything done so I was let loose. I read for a bit and then met up with a few friends at the Navy Club for happy hour. Happy Hour consists of $1 drafts and free food (chips and salsa and meat loaf this time) When I left I had had dinner and a good time for a grand total of $3. You really can't beat that! I then read the night away. What I great way to start my 4 day weekend! My new computer also showed up and I spent some time starting to get it set up! It is delightful to have a computer that doesn't have a huge crack through the screen. And is fast! And super quiet!
11688 steps (5.08 miles)
Saturday, August 31st, was delightful in its laziness! I was going to get up and go running, but instead I watched football scores and read. Other than going to go see Immortal Instruments: City of Bones at the on post movie theater (mostly to see if Clary was as whiny in the movie as she was in the book - she was...), that was my delightful reading day.
5037 steps (2.19 miles)
Sunday, September 1st, I got up and was actually motivated since I had caught up on all my sleep. I decided to run Seoul Tower - the route I take is about 5.5 miles with a gain of nearly 800 feet. It's a bit rough to run up and I ran the whole way except for on one killer hill and when I got to the top and an old Korean guy stopped me. Now, I'm not quite sure due to the language barrier but I think the guy either wanted to take me to breakfast or have his son - a pilot who is carrying the flag in the parade in October - take me to breakfast. Either way, I smiled and continued on my run. After that, my day consisted of reading, px run, reading, talking to people on skype, and more reading. Is there a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon/evening?
14306 steps (6.22 miles)
Monday, September 2nd, was a productive day! I didn't get up super early but I did get to skype with Kate and Andy in the morning and then meet up with Samantha to go shopping - my goal was to get a custom made dress. We wandered down to Itaewon and first had to stop at Starbucks. Then we wandered some of the side streets and went down the Antiques row. Samantha loves antiques so we perused for a bit. We saw a really old bugle, bass clarinet, pump organ, lots of intricate woodwork, old cameras, spoons, really old books and other assortment of stuff. Seriously, if I had the time and the money, I would go Pinterest crazy! We got back on track and went down to an underground row. The first shop the little Korean lady said she made shirts but when we told her we were looking for a dress, she hustled us down to her friend, the dress maker. He asked if I had a picture of what I wanted (I did) and then what color I was thinking. Another guy came and measured me all over the place and then told me to come back on Thursday for the next fitting. He didn't want to take my credit card but walked me down to the ATM instead (didn't want the fees?) Overall, super easy and super cheap for a custom made dress. I see why it is all the rage in Korea to get custom made finery. Samantha and I wondered into another dress shop afterwards where they had an assortment of dresses and I talked her into trying on a mermaid style dress. However, the shop owner was only interested in us buying something and was pretty rude about us window shopping so we moved along our way. We wandered down to the Hamilton Shopping Center were the sales clerks were like mosquitos but we had a good time laughing at some of the strange underwear they were selling. There was a bra with flowers pinned to the boobs and a man's thong with elephant ears and trunk. Only 10,000 won the lady said. I wish I could have gotten a picture! Then we went to Vatos Tacos for lunch - we had Watermelon Wheat beer and Kimchee Carnitas French Fries (amazing!) and I had pork belly tacos. Afterwards we wandered to a different section to get Monster Cupcakes for our buddy on CQ. We didn't know what his favorite flavor was but we went for a vanilla one with a skeleton on top and a mocha one with a dead finger (made of icing!). Samantha and I parted ways and I went back to my BEQ for skyping, laundry and reading.
17483 steps (7.60 miles)
Tuesday, September 3rd, I woke up and went for a run with Samantha. She showed me how to get down to the running path by the Han River. This will be important knowledge since I was looking for long stretches of road for my half marathon training (possibly a full??) and the best part - it's mostly flat! We didn't go for too long since it was fairly hot out (summer was back with a vengeance). Afterwards I went back to my BEQ, showered, went to the band hall to practice and get a bit of work done, then came back and am trying to be productive! At least, get my blog caught up so Grandma will stop haranguing me ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment