Saturday, May 7, 2011

Or not so good...

April 19th - It was my first day at my new branch. It was overall a shitty day. Everything that could have been thrown at me to make me miserable, pretty much was. I cried on my way home from work. It was the first day that I I truly regretted moving to Nevada.

April 20th - Crappy day :-(

April 21st - And the shit continues..

April 22nd - Another shitty day. To make matters worse, my military commitment was attacked. Nothing upsets me more than when civilians start questioning and making comments about my duty. Luckily my chain of command and especially my UA have my back!

April 23rd - First non-horrible day of work at my new branch. It was just me and one other co-worker so it was pretty relaxed. Then I bombed down to Carson City. I grabbed some dinner (mmmm steak!) and then played in the Carson City Orchestra. We played "Morceau de Concert for Harp and Orchestra" by Camille Saint-Saens, (with harp soloist - Marina Roznitovsky) "Symphony No. 1 - The Romantic" by Paul Johnson and 'Tatarian Dances" by Elena Roussanova Lucas. Summer and her mom came to my concert which was awesome :)

April 24th - Happy Easter! It was actually a rather dull Easter for me. I really wish I could have been home to spend Easter with my family... my sister puts on an amazing spread for Easter!

April 28th - When I was unloading books, a guy came in looking for his books. He was wearing a Brazilian Jiu-jitsu shirt. He noticed me looking at it funny and asked if I did Jiu-jitsu. I said no, at least not a pure form but that I did Army Combatives. He told me that that was pretty impressive. I asked him if there was a dojo around here and he said yes! It was just down the street and he taught at it. He said I should stop in sometime.

April 29th - I slept in a bit since I couldn't work at the library (stupid...) and drove leisurely over the mountains to Camp Parks. I picked up Jeremy from the train station and then we hung out for a bit. I went to a party at my friend Max's (Jeremy didn't go because he was sick at had to study) It was a little awkward at first but I ended up having a great time :-) I didn't get back until fairly late (or early depending on how you look at it)

April 30th - Slept in and then had an awesome breakfast of bacon. My MPT had a rehersal for a good couple hours (our oboe player is a hell of an arranger! while the MPT suffered through some of my arrangements as well...) We changed into Blues and headed out to the hotel where the gig was. It was an AUSA ceremony. And it took fooooooorever... Afterwards, Macy got sprayed with gas and good times were had by all. I also registered for my 4th running of the Army Ten Miler! :-D

May 1st - I should have been running a half marathon, instead I drove myself home from CA. It was a lazy drive and day.

May 3rd - After work, stopped in at the Dojo and met with the owner (prior Navy) She told me all the different classes. I told her my background and she said "oh, you are the librarian!" Apparently, the guy who came into my library gave her the heads up that I would be stopping in.

May 4th - At work, we had a patron poop in a computer chair. I am not even kidding... After work, I stopped in for my first jiu-jitsu class. The class consisted of the instructor (black belts, combatives level 3), 5 huge dudes who were all active duty navy and MMA fighters... and me. It was intimidating! But I think I hung in there well and definately learned! And got some fairly awesome bruises and mat burn.

May 5th - Felice Cinco de Mayo!

May 8th - Happy Mothers Day!

May 10th - Since noone else was going to be working in F-town with me, Renee got tasked to work so we carpooled up together. I snuck in buying coffee so she bought us sodas for the ride home. It was a great day working :-) Plus I had an important phone call during my lunch break. I don't know if that phone call will pan out, but it was a good experience either way.

May 11th - My face hurt so much from all the smiling and laughing from the day before. The rest of the day sucked something fierce but I survived. Then had a good time at orchestra. We are playing a pops concert in June that is all train themed. I am actually surprised how many songs there are about damn trains. Some of them make my feel really young...

May 12th - I didn't do rounds due to a whole system wide implosion. Kevin (the one male worker at my library) brought chocolate and sugar for us at work. He was trying to soothe all the emotional females. Someone trained him well!

May 13th - Work work work and then I drove myself over the mountains to army time. Because I am leaving from F-town, my voyage is a bit shorter so I made it in about 4 hours. The 191st was sharing barracks with another unit so there was a bit of a mixup with things but we got things straightened out. Then Jeremy and I went out to Applebees (because I was hungry and he was sick of waiting in the barracks). The manager there was a pretty cool guy who had served a couple tours and bought our dinner for us which was really nice of him.

May 14th - A fairly late wake up since it was going to be a late night. I had to take the APFT (my first one with my new unit.) I was a bit nervous... I feel fairly out of shape :-/ I squeaked by with my weight (no taping!) and ended up doing:

Pushups - 31
Situps - 61
2 mile run - 16:27

for a total of a 245. Not great, but definately better than the unit's average.

After the showering and such, we had MPT rehearsal (where, yes, we did play Lady Gaga :-D) That night we had a family day. Which was kinda depressing for me since my family couldn't come, but some 0f the others there whose families didn't come either cheered me up by making me have fun.

May 15th - Another fun day of Army. We had lots of concert band and we got a new piece that I actually have to practice! (scary!) After army, I decided to try to make it home even though there was word that I80 was having issue with snow. I got to the mountains and then had to wait for a long while while they closed the road due to accidents. Finally they opened the road back up and instituted chain control. I was not totally awesome and could not for the life of me get my chains on. I was of course still in uniform, kneeling in the snow and mud with my arms wrapped around a tire, swearing at my chains when a guy said, "do you need some help, sargeant?" I turned and saw someone who was obviously military (the haircut is a dead give away) and said, "yes, thank you!" When I stood up, he looked at me and said, "I know you!" We exchanged dates and places we had been and it turns out that he was in my Platoon in Basic Training with me 7 years ago! Small world!!! It turns out he also works down the street from me at the reserve center. Anyway, I got back on the road and finally made it home early in the morning. LONG trip.

May 16th - My day off so I slept in a bit before spending a fairly easy day reading and cleaning before going to jiu-jitsu class. There was another female there this time who accidently punched me while we were rolling. Good times.

May 17th - Crappy day had by all. Enough said.

May 18th - work work work and then orchestra rehearsal.

May 19th - I rode rounds, had lunch with Summer and covered some books. Full and productive day!

May 20th - Today Laura, Kate and Andy are coming to visit me!!!! CAN'T WAIT UNTIL THEY LAND :-D

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there - sorry work is so crappy. But the jiu-jitsu classes, military, and the orchestra sound great. Can hardly wait to hear how thing went with Laura, Kate and Andy.

    ReplyDelete